Interesting places near the fort

Letohrad Museum of Crafts – 2 km

This museum is located in the Nový Dvůr building from 1750, about 300 m from the square in Letohrad. It is the largest museum of its kind in the Czech Republic. It has over 50 exhibits of crafts and trades from the period 1840 – 1930 over an area of 1650 m2. You can see unique works of technical design, a moving mechanic folk museum with craftsmen, a sawmill with three machines, mechanical workshop, and a historical vehicle depot. The period Nový Dvůr restaurant and the garden Na Terase restaurant are in the same building. Every year on the second Saturday in July, the Craft Saturday event takes place, with examples of crafts and historical machines being used.

Letohrad Museum of Crafts – 2 km

Letohrad Town – 2.3 km ( square )

This town lies in the foothills of the Orlické mountains on the Tichá Orlice river. The Baroque castle with its own exhibition and the Baroque church are points of interest on the square, which is dominated by a Baroque Marian column. You can find out about the history of the town in the Town Museum, which also has the original carriage which Napoleon used to escape from Russia in 1812. The Jára Cimrman Museum and Study is also now open.  The pentagonal Chapel of St John of Nepomuk with its cloisters looks out over the town from the hill, and near the castle are natural landscape gardens with an Imperial fountain, pavilion and artificial cave with view. In winter, you can also take advantage of the ski-lift in Letohrad.

Letohrad Town – 2.3 km ( square )

Pastviny reservoir – 12 km

Pastviny reservoir, in the Divoká Orlice valley is an attractive destination not only as a major technical achievement, but particularly as a place for summer recreation and tourism. The arch-gravity dam is made from quarry stone and cement, and is the last walled dam built in the Czech Republic. There is a hydroelectric power plant located on the dam. In the summer, grassy beaches offer opportunities for swimming, relaxation and games for families with children, and also the option to try out some water sports, and the surroundings of the reservoir naturally offer great walking or cycling trips. The village of Pastviny and other nearby villages are also enlivened with tourism in the winter as nearby resorts offer ideal skiing conditions.

Pastviny reservoir – 12 km

Masaryk’s cottage on Šerlich - 45 km

Masaryk’s cottage (Masarykova chata) in Deštní v Orlických horách stands on the crest of Šerlich at an elevation of 1019 m with views over the Czech Republic and Poland. The cottage is in a fantastic position for hiking or skiing. The red Jirásková cesta (Jiráska’s trail) ridge hiking trail leading from Broumov to Litomyšl goes past the cottage. In the winter, the main cross-country skiing prepared trail is found here. Near the cottage is a 350 m long ski lift. The nearby natural Bukačka forest is known as the botanic gardens of the Orlické mountains for its rich variety of plants. The highest mountain in the Orlické mountains, Velká Deštná, is 3 km from the cottage.

Masaryk’s cottage on Šerlich - 45 km

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Neratov - 25 km

Neratov (orig. Bärnwald) has been an important place of pilgrimage since the late 17th century, with apparently up to four thousand pilgrims coming here. Miraculous powers were ascribed to the blessed statue of the Virgin Mary and the spring which flows out at the church. As a result of Neratov’s growing popularity, the Baroque stone Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was built here between 1723 and 1733. On 10 May 1945, the church was hit by anti-tank fire from the Red Army, burnt down and gradually fell into disrepair after the departure of the German citizens. Its planned demolition was halted for a lack of finances. Subsequent to 1989, the protection of this unique building began, including the partial glazing of the new church roof. The church’s impressive atmosphere and its fascinating history continue to attract many pilgrims today.

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Neratov - 25 km

Králický Sněžník - 37 km

A massif range between Jeseníky and Orlické mountains, a natural nature reserve. Sněžník’s peak is at an elevation of 1424 metres and is the third highest mountain in the Czech Republic. A stone viewing tower used to stand on the Polish side between 1899 and 1973. You can find a tri-point stone here marking the border of the Kingdom of Bohemia, the Margraviate of Moravia and the County of Kladsko, and there is a statue of an elephant by the foundations of a demolished cottage. It is interesting to note that three rivers have their source on Králický Sněžník, each flowing into three different seas. The river Morava, which springs from the southern slope, flows into the Black Sea, Liptovský potok flows into the North Sea, and Kladská Nisa flows into the Baltic sea. There is a wonderful view over the Orlické mountains, Staroměstsko and the Hrubý Jeseníky from the top. If visibility is good, you can also glimpse the Krkonoše and Beskids mountains and Olomouc.

Králický Sněžník - 37 km

Králíky Military Museum – 20 km

Králiky Military Museum is the most modern military museum in the Czech Republic. It has been set up on a location which was part of the largest defence fortifications in the country in the 1930s. Around it are řopíks (small fortification buildings), as well as 3 artillery towers. The renovated hall has examples of infantry weapons, field and anti-aircraft guns, infantry and artillery ammunition and soldiers’ equipment. There are more than 60 pieces of large military equipment outside, including tanks, assault guns, armoured transporters, heavy field and anti-aircraft guns, trucks and all-terrain vehicles, tactical rocket carriers, logistics and engineering equipment and examples of anti-tank and antipersonnel obstacles. Every August, there is a ‘Cihelna’ remembrance event which takes place in Králíky with examples of military equipment.

Králíky Military Museum – 20 km

Homolské schody - Lhoty u Potštejna - 22 km

Near the castle of Potštejn, on the top of a hill known as Homole near the village of Lhoty, a castle was built which was said to have been ransacked by Charles IV himself in his military campaign against the raider and rebel knight, Mikuláš of Potštejn. It was Countess Terezie Eleonora of Ugarte who made it a place of pilgrimage at the end of the 17th century when she built a ‘covered shrine’ on Homole – the Church of Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows – together with a late Baroque staircase leading up to it. This today is the main attraction and of singular value as there are only two staircases of such importance in the whole of Europe. Here in Homole, and in Italy. The staircase is designed for Marian devotions (153° = the number of Hail Marys, 16 rest places = Our Fathers in a large Rosary) and has been attracting pilgrims from all over the world for 3 centuries. When you visit this place, you will see how much positive energy it has, not to mention the number of legends which surround Homole.

Homolské schody - Lhoty u Potštejna - 22 km

Litice Castle – 19 km

Litice Castle was built by the Drslavic family (as was Potštejn castle). The Drslavics arrived in the Orlice region in the 13th century during the colonisation of the border forest. Litice, by the Divoká Orlice river, became a Royal castle, belonging to the Přemyslids and Luxembourgs before it was acquired by Boček of Kunštát and Poděbrady, grandfather of the future King George of Poděbrady. Litice’s fame reached its height during the reign of King George. It is said that Litice was for George of Poděbrady what Karlštejn was for Charles IV. Some records claim that George wanted to make a refuge place for the crown jewels and Zemské desky law records here. The castle was also used to safely imprison people who the land administrator and later king relied upon. The castle underwent extensive renovation at the end of the 20th century. The castle tower offers fantastic views over the surroundings.

Litice Castle – 19 km

Aqupark Ústí nad Orlicí - 12 km

This water park offers a 25 m long recreational and swimming pool. The recreational pool contains water attractions such as bubble and air blowers, a slide and 6 massage benches. You can take a free trip on the 101 m flume, or on the ‘Kamikaze’ slide 6.80 m high. There are children’s pools with waterfalls and slides, a new playground and other attractions within the grounds. There are also refreshments, a beach volleyball, water football and aerobics court, and you can also try aquazorbing or carpet curling. The water park has undergone extensive renovation.

Aqupark Ústí nad Orlicí - 12 km

Monastery on Hora Matky Boží, Králíky - 27 km

The monastery on "Hora Matky Boží" hill by Králíky was used after it was completed in 1710 by the Order of Servites, and the Order of Redemptorists from 1883, and it was also used as a prison for priests from 1950 until 1960. It is now once again run by the Order of Redemptorists. An alley lined with shrines leads up to the monastery from Králíky. The Holy Steps are a unique part of the monastery. These are a copy of the staircase in Antonia Castle, Jerusalem, later transported to Rome. Jesus Christ walked up them to get to Pilate’s bench. There are also wonderful cloisters here with many paintings and statues. The cloisters here are unusual in that they are closed because of their high altitude and consequent strong winds. There is a beautiful view over Králíky, Suchý vrch and Králický Sněžník from Mariánský kopec.

Monastery on Hora Matky Boží, Králíky -  27 km

Nový zámek u Lanškrouna (Chateau near Rudoltice) - 23 km

Locals know this chateau as záměček (the mansion or manor). From afar it appears to be an unusual building a little like a water tower or viewing tower. This torso and connected cellars is all that remains of Nový zámek, a building which was a major feat of chateau architecture of Central European importance when it was built. The chateau was built for Prince Johann Adam Andreas von Liechtenstein and designed by Domenik Martinelli. The chateau tower has today been repaired and there is a museum and beautiful view over the surroundings of Lanškroun inside. There are kiosks, a children’s play area and places to sit on the uncovered chateau foundations. You can also visit the extensive underground section.

Nový zámek u Lanškrouna (Chateau near Rudoltice) - 23 km

Častolovice Castle – 33 km

The history of Častolovice castle goes back to the 13th century when Častolov of the Hronovec family had a fort built here in the marshes, which changed hands over the years. The most important owner was George of Poděbrady. It was the family seat of the Sternbergs from 1694. Rooms in the chateau exhibition are furnished in various styles to give an impression of life in the castle in the past. The Knight’s Hall is one of the largest in the Czech Republic (306 m2) and its Renaissance ceiling is painted with scenes from the Old Testament. A popular way to end your visit to the castle is by taking a walk in the English landscape gardens (42 ha) where as well as rare trees, rhododendrons and azaleas, flower lovers will enjoy the rose and water gardens. In the park, visitors can admire white fallow and sika deer and other woodland creatures.

Častolovice Castle – 33 km

Ústí nad Orlicí indoor pool – 12 km

This covered pool with salt water offers: a 25 m long swimming pool, a children‘s pool with bubbles and a slide, a flume pool for an 84 metre flume, whirlpool, two steam cabins and a vertical sunbed, the basement contains a relaxation centre with a large seawater aquarium, a relaxation pool with hydromassage and air massage, a solar meadow, a steam cabin with equipment for making mist from an iodine salt concentrate, and a Duett relaxing music bath – a place for total relaxation where vibrations from the music are carried by the walls of the bath into the water, with body resonance resulting in the deep and gentle massage of internal organs and the whole body. You can also take advantage of the spinning centre and refreshments on offer. The pool is closed in summer (July - August.

Ústí nad Orlicí indoor pool – 12 km

Potštejn Castle – 19 km

The ruins of the massive castle of Potštejn are amongst the largest in the Czech Republic. It dates back to the end of the 13th century (1295). The castle site includes the Chapel of St John of Nepomuk (1766) and the last stop of the ‘Boží hrob’ Way of the Cross (1754). By the entrance gate, there is an exhibition of the history of the castle. There is also a story of treasure linked to the castle: The son of the founder, Půta, Mikuláš of Potštejn, was known as a knight and robber. He died in the ruins of the castle when Charles IV captured it. Potštejn then became an unconquerable fort, which brought misfortune first to Jan Antonín Harbuval-Chamaré. He decided to find the Mikuláš’s fabled treasure. For forty years, he searched the corridors under the castle until the walls began to crumble and fall down, but no treasure could be found. This story inspired Alois Jirásek when he wrote the book ‘Treasure’. To commemorate this, a Jirásek Treasure plaque is placed here.

Potštejn Castle – 19 km

Hanička Artillery Fort – 15 km

Hanička Fortifications Museum lies roughly 5 km as the crow flies from Rokytnice in the Orlické mountains near the border with Poland, although in 1938 this was the border with the then Germany. It is made up of six underground combat buildings linked by hundreds of metres of corridors and halls. These huge halls could be used for keeping significant stores, which was supposed to allow soldiers to continue to fight even if surrounded for months at a time. Construction was completed in 1938, and in the same year it was given over to the Wermacht without a fight who then tested the strength of the buildings and the effectiveness of German artillery grenades. In 1975 – 1995, Hanička was closed to the public because the Federal Interior Ministry had built a nuclear war bunker here with the secret name of Kahan.

Hanička Artillery Fort – 15 km

Rokytnice v Orlických horách - 20 km

The small town of Rokytnice v Orlických horách is a major summer and winter recreation centre. There are many examples of the Orlické mountains beautiful traditional folk architecture here. The town is centred on its square, where there are a number of low wooden buildings decorated with high gables and arcades. Most of these buildings were built in the early 18th century. There is also an Imperial fountain and Marian column and an early Baroque chateau and the All Saints parish church completed in 1684 on the square, and near the square is the Church of the Holy Trinity from 1604. Rokytnice is an access point for a number of walking trails, and the Orlické mountains cycle trail also goes through the town. The popular Hanička fortifications are north of the town. If we head out in a north-easterly direction, our journey will lead us to the museum known as ‘Bunkr na Holém’.

Rokytnice v Orlických horách - 20 km

Na Sboru house in Kunvald - 15 km

Kunvald is historically important mainly because it was here in 1457 that a church continuing the Hussite reformation was founded – the Unity of the Brethren. Na Sboru house in Kunvald, the cradle of the Unity of the Brethren, stood on the place of today’s house number 238 around the year 1458. In Na Sboru house is the J A Comenius memorial hall and an exhibition on the founding of the Unity of the Brethren. In 1547 the Czech Brethren, forced to leave their country for their faith, planted the lime tree known as the Brethren Lime by house no. 77. It is 32 m in height and the circumference of the two joined trunks measures 840 cm. The age of this Small-leaved Lime has been estimated to be over 450 years old. There are a number of other sites in Kunvald commemorating the acts of the Unity of the Brethren, such as the place known as Jordán where there used to be a well in which new members of the Unity were reputedly baptised, and Modlivý důl, where the Brethren hid and held services during their oppression.

Na Sboru house in Kunvald - 15 km

Žampach Arboretum – 8 km

The arboretum is located in the Orlické mountains foothills at an altitude of 440 m right under the hill with the ruined castle of Žampach and it is part of the castle parks at Žampach, which are a state protected cultural memorial. The arboretum’s information system includes a nature trail with stop-off points with basic information (texts, pictures and photographs) on a total of over 100 tree families which can easily be found on the trail. The arboretum and castle parks at Žampach contain over 500 types and varieties of tree. You will also find a well equipped and maintained play area with attractions and seats for children and adults, playground, a summer house and hippodrome with special platform and an information centre with outdoor terrace. The arboretum and castle parks at Žampach are open to the public all year round.

Žampach Arboretum – 8 km

Žamberk Town - 8 km

Town in valley of Divoká Orlice, established in 13rd century. In 16th century the town was the centre of Moravian Church. Žamberk is also the birthplace of the inventor of conductor - Prokop Diviš. You can see there its memorial. The chateau was built in the year 1575 by Mikuláš z bubna. Later it has been several times rebuilt, last time in beginning 19th century. The dominant of town is the Renaissance town-hall from the year 1815, later rebuilt.

Žamberk Town - 8 km

Tyršova viewing tower near Žamberk - 8 km

This timber viewing tower with a stone base was built in 1932 and is known locally as Rozálka. From the main viewing gantry you can admire 360-degree views of the Orlické Mountains, Králický Sněžník, Mount Buková and Suchý vrch.

Tyršova viewing tower near Žamberk - 8 km