March 2011 – archaeological field survey – 1st stage

The archaeological field survey inside the fort began in the spring of 2009.

10 pits were dug under the current fort floor. The survey confirmed the existence of overground sections of the building and a fortification wall of the younger mediaeval site, of which we had previously only known about the preserved cellars. According to the preserved wall remains, we now also know that the overground room above the cellar was also vaulted. At the entrance to this room, parts of the sandstone lining and doorstep have been preserved, and even some of the original tiles have been preserved in the corner of the floor.  In two pits, the survey confirmed the existence of an even older mediaeval building, preliminarily dated to the first half of the 14th century.

Both buildings were destroyed in fires, and subsequently (in 1542) a Renaissance chateau was built on the eastern edge of the site. The newly discovered cellar is perhaps part of the oldest building, because in terms of position and depth it doesn’t fit in with the later buildings, which actually resulted in it becoming inaccessible.